Saturday, October 20, 2007

Look What It Did Today




Olivia and Lincoln had just arrived at my house when we heard a crash that sounded as if the house were splitting. Immediately following, we could hear the prancing and pawing of millions of hoofs. No, many Santas hadn't landed--we were being hammered by a wild hail storm.


My metal roof magnifies every sound; it can be quite frightening to someone who is not used to its aural theatrics. We rushed to the window wall in the big room to gape at the storm raging outside. Though daylight, the lightening flashes were increasing the intensity of the light outside followed closely by booming thunder.




I took the pictures right away, but couldn't make this post because the storm knocked out the cable internet in this area. Jennica called and told me not to let her kids go home because of the danger of the lightning. We were held captive by the storm for about twenty minutes. When it quit hailing, it snowed. About an hour later, the sky was blue and everything on the ground melted. All the cliches about Idaho's weather are true. I love Idaho but am really looking forward to my trip to Tucson and the sun and a Sonoran hot dog next week. Unfortunately, when I come home and get back into my thermal underwear, no one will notice my tan. They may notice the aftermath of several Sonoran hot dogs.



8 comments:

jenhirr said...

If you had taken these pics even five minutes later the whole ground would have been white with hail. Izzy and I watched a little shovel get buried and then she stepped outside to feel the hail our her head. (She's a live and learn kind of girl!)

jenhirr said...

Oh! I heard that first crash of thunder over the vacuum!

Lisa Lovely said...

Great pictures mom. Get some sun and eat a hotdog for me.
I love you.
LL

Lisa Lovely said...

Dearest Mommy (not Mommy Dearest!),
Just thought you would be happy to know that Derek will be in Teton from December 28th through January 6th. The ticket purchase finally worked out. YEA!
Love,
Lisa

charityeve said...

I love your writing. You may think you need pictures to make your blog enticing, but you're dead wrong. I just like the images your words bring. Write a story. Show us more examples of where Jaren gets his talent.

The pictures are lovely, and I am glad for the sun here. Nice post. Even having heard the story I was drawn in.

I heard your computer suffers when you check my blog so I removed the youtube links. I hope that fixes the problem. Sorry for cursing you, but at least it wasn't of the red eye variety.

renwai said...

Thank you to everyone who commented and made me feel doted on. (Are doted and dottering related?)
Jen--Izzy is surely a live and learn kind of girl; just seconds after your call wanting to protect Lincoln, here come Izzy running barefoot through the hail and the lightening strikes.
Lisa--if you want to see a sonoran hotdog, go from Jaren's blog to Butt Taco to Emily's post on her weekend in Tucson. Don't ask why Jaren calls her that--I ???
Charity--thanks for your compliments and also for attempting to stop freezing Jen's and my computers. It will be nice not having to leave you to the end of the blog train.

charityeve said...

My pleasure. Seriously, if it means more comments (which already seems the case) it really is MY pleasure.

I'm so excited for you to come here so we can dote on you up close.

Jaren Watson said...

Norris, get here quick. It's too early in the year to have that kind of weather nonsense going on. I ???
I agree with Dorts. Your writing is such fun to read. And, for that matter, so are your other childrens' blogs.