Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Piece of Time


Nearly four years ago, I started these quilts. They were supposed to be baby quilts for Isabel and Claire. They have been hanging on my design wall for more than three years waiting for their final borders. Finally after my 60th birthday and my being able to reduce my hours at work, I have finished them both. The one on the top is for Isabel. The bottom one is for Claire. The girls are both four years old now.

Isabel will get hers tonight. Claire will get hers when I go to Tucson on the 27th. I am so excited to have these done and be able to give them to the girls. I love making quilts. It runs second place to my true love--my grandchildren. (My own children figure in here someplace, but it seems easier to show love to the little ones. At least they'll slow down and let me love them.)
My quilting has changed since my first attempts for Whitney and Morgan. Cierra's and Baylee's were a little more advanced. In fact, it was when I walked into a quilt store in Encinitas, Ca. looking for thread to finish the borders on Baylee's quilt, that I first discovered quilting/piecing as I now know it. Olivia, Lincoln and Kelton all have art quilts. Baby Josh, Ty, and Emilia all got "minky" quilts because there was not time to design blocks when they were born. Minky is one of the softest materials in the entire world. And there are some perks to having the children verbal when they get their quilts. Ty said his quilt made him "so happy." Jen said Ty had never used those words before.
Though these quilts are not going to newborns, I feel newly born. It is more wonderful than I can describe to get back a piece of my life as I once knew it. Working on a quilt for someone you love is a way to hold them mentally until the quilt can hold them physically.


4 comments:

Jaren Watson said...

These are gorgeous, Norris. Claire is going to be very excited. I understand the sentiment about being able to hold a love one while serving them. I also like holding people captive against their will.

charityeve said...

I can't wait to hold this in my hands and give it closer examination. I LOVE this border on Claire's, so glad we lost the original plans.

HOORAY!!!!

jenhirr said...

Izzy is in love with hers and is very aware of the sunlight so the fabric doesn't fade in it's rays!! Thank you mommy!

Lisa Lovely said...

I am amazed by the detail. I enlarged the pictures to see the swirling pattern of the quilting in Izzy's. My favorite fabric on hers is the green with purple polka dots and I really love the stretchy hearts. How did you do the alternating matching flowers on Claire's? They almost look like they are textured. Very beautiful Mom.
LL